Wednesday 11 July 2012

6 Week Theatre Challenge: 6 - 10

6. What is the best performance you have seen?

The best performance I have ever seen would have to go to Mark Rylance as Johnny 'Rooster' Byron in Jerusalem. Rylance's performance was visceral, raw and electric, whilst also being deeply touching at the same time. It was truly a humbling experience seeing Rylance in this epic role in a equally epic play.

7. What is the best ballet you have seen?

Giselle at the Royal Opera House was a brilliant ballet to have witnessed. Tamara Rojo as the fragile Giselle and Carlos Acosta as the noble prince highly elevated this production so that it became something of a theatrical event. The atmosphere was almost palpable in the final moments and the rapturous applause proved that Giselle was just as brilliant as I hoped it would be.

8. What is your favourite London theatre.

This question is hard due to me having many favourite theatres in London. I have always found the Harold Pinter theatre quirky and full of character, however the National Theatre has everything you would ever want in a theatre. Not only does it show some really quality productions, it also offers three theatres so that the national can offer different types of works. The staff are always nice and the bookshop is a theatre buff's heaven.

9. Is there a production you wish you had seen?

Definitely. Over the years there have been many productions which I wish I had seen. Recently, I would have like to have seen Constellations at the Royal Court (I hope I can catch it when it transfers to the Duke of York's). I would also have liked to see A Doll's House at the Donmar a few years ago which starred Gillian Anderson, Christopher Eccleston and Tara Fitzgerald.

10. What is the best lighting you have seen in a production?

I really loved Bruno Poet's lighting in Frankenstein. The hundreds of lights of the ceiling of the Olivier were beautiful and the rest of the on stage lighting was brilliant - it really added another dimension to the production.

No comments:

Post a Comment