Monday 16 July 2012

6 Week Theatre Challenge: 11-15

11. What was the fist thing you saw at the theatre?

Besides from pantomimes and the occasional trip to an Agatha Christie play, I'd have to say the first thing I saw at the theatre was Sean Mathias' production of Waiting for Godot - I'd also have to say that it was this production which really inspired me to see more theatre and go more regularly.

12. What is the worst production you have seen?

I am lucky in the respect that I haven't seen many terrible productions, however, there have been one or two which just haven't clicked with me. The Late Middle Classes at the Donmar, although well acted, was a big disappointment and from the start did not grip me. The fact I left at the interval says it all. More recently Zach Braff's All New People left me feeling cold, completely failing to lift one smile from my face.

13. What is the production you're most looking forward to?

I am very excited to see The Globe's Richard III and Twelfth Night later this year (I am seeing them very late in their runs). Mark Rylance, in my opinion, is the best actor you can possibly see on stage and so hopefully these two productions are just as good as everything else he has been in. The rest of the cast also looks intriguing - Johnny Flynn as Lady Anne and Stephen Fry as Malvolio.

14. Who is your favourite theatre director?

Katie Mitchell hands down is my favourite theatre director. The sheer originality of her work really excites me and you never quite know what she will do with a text, classic or modern.

15. Which play would you most like to see?

Although not specific, I would like to see more of Shakespeare's obscure work (Pericles, Titus Andronicus).  If I had to be specific and pick a non-Shakespeare I would like to see Beckett's A Piece of Monologue performed.

No comments:

Post a Comment