Friday 6 July 2012

6 Week Theatre Challenge: 1 - 5

Instead of doing a 30 day theatre challenge and subsequently having it completely take over my blog, I thought I would do 5 days all at once every 5 days, thus making it a 6 week challenge. I couldn't find a list for theatre, therefore I have constructed the questions myself...

1. What is the best production you have seen?

Controversially, I will have to go for Katie Mitchell's production of A Woman Killed with Kindness which was staged at the National Theatre last year. Hated by many, this production really hit a chord with me and to this day it has stayed with me. Being in the audience, I found this production refreshingly original, fast paced and highly enjoyable - I had never seen anything quite like it. I confess I do love a production which splits an audience, however this provocative revival would certainly get a full five stars from me.

2. What is the most frustrating production you have seen?

Michael Grandage's production of King Lear and the Donmar had me musing over it for days and days. Did I love it or did I hate it? Something just wasn't quite right and so I not only found it highly frustrating, but I also found myself eventually loathing the production which in all fairness was really quite good. After a whole year of deliberating I found the weak link to be Derek Jacobi who played Lear. For me, Jacobi's performance was just a bit too camp and safe whilst Greg Hicks' performance of Lear at the RSC really hit the spot.

3. Which play have you seen the most?

I don't tend to get the chance to see multiple productions of plays (except Shakespeare) due to there not being the opportunity too frequently. However, I have seen King Lear three times, once at the RSC and twice at the Donmar (the most frustrating production I have seen).

4. What is the most experimental production you have seen?

I haven't seen that many experimental productions so I would have to go with DV8's Can We Talk About This? Albeit not massively experimental and more controversial, this production really did examine some difficult questions through the medium of physical theatre and dance which was highly thought provoking.

5. Who is your favourite playwright?

My favourite playwright would have to be Samuel Beckett. The mix of absurdism, comedy and tragedy is beautifully handled by Beckett, therefore providing us with some of the best plays every written. There is nothing better than seeing a brilliant production of a Beckett play.

                                                       

No comments:

Post a Comment